Thursday, September 21, 2006

Falling leaves

Today I finished work--a rewarding session--and returned home around 8, already dark. It was raining just enough that everything was shiny in my headlights, glossy, almost like the world was coated in glass. As I turned on to my street I noticed the faint hints of yellow in my nieghbor's driveway. I immediately knew what they were, they were the leaves I'd seen the day before. The first hints I noticed of fall, aside from the weather. They reminded me about the constancy of change. I'm not sure why but I always thought fall, not spring should be the season of change. I know spring symbolizes new life and fall has the harvest and celebration, but fall also symbolizes the beginning of the road to death. The realization that death is coming seems so much more appropriate than the acknowledgement of new life. But maybe thats just in my own little corner of the world..

No comments: